Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Single Girl Quilt Quilt-a-long: Getting Started

Last night instead of my usual put the kiddos to bed/head to my crafting corner routine, I brought my baby up the mountain for an evening of love poetry with my sweet sisters of the Alma Branch Relief Society.  I must admit I didn't think I was much of a poetry buff but sitting there listening to the poems people chose to bring, I was sucked in and think I might have to investigate this thing called poetry.  It was delightful.

And while I was there our Relief Society president asked me about heading up two little quilty projects.

I'm excited and I'm sure I'll be sharing more about them in the weeks to come.  Should be fun.

Anyhoos, I got home at a late hour because I can't seem to tear myself away from good conversation with good women.  But I also can't seem to head to bed lately without doing something a little creative so I pulled out my single girl pattern and started tracing and cutting out some templates.  I chose to make my own templates out of craft plastic because I hate cutting up original patterns.  Plastic templates are easier to work with for me than paper ones.  So there.

This morning I asked Wonder Pets to come by and entertain Carver while I laid out my fabrics and templates and got things organized.
Carver was curious as to what mama was up to and came over to inspect my progress.

I divided all my pieces in individual ziplock baggies to keep things organized.  Don't you love my project organizer?  Quite the quality box.  But it gets the job done.

I think I've decided to go with a colored background instead of white.  Even though that sort of forces me to go buy more fabric which I wasn't going to do for awhile if I could absolutely help it.

But after cleaning out and organizing the last of my stash boxes from the garage, I've decided that my stash wasn't quite as wild and overgrown as originally thought and I might not have to be so stingy with my purchases.  I doubt the husband would agree but what can you do?
So everything is all set and ready for tonight when the kiddos hit the sack so I can get to tracing and cutting out pieces. Yesterday was free play day around here since I had to sit at the computer and pay bills all day (blah blah blah) and things were a little zooey because of it.

I think today I'll be playing with these rascals instead.
----------------------------------------------------

And remember you've still got till Thursday night to enter our GIVEAWAY for your very own copy of Last Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson!  Remember extra entries for posting the giveaway on Facebook and/or your own personal blog:)


1 comment:

  1. I love you Ziploc storage box. We go through quite a few of those and it looks perfect to keep small projects all together with. I may have to steal your idea :)
    I'm excited to see your quilt progress.
    Is the single girl quilt piecing process the same as the color wheel quilt?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...