Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A cause near and dear to my heart...

Two years ago my mom was diagnosed with a very early stage of breast cancer. She assured me that she would be fine, they'd caught it very soon and they would be able to treat her fully and there was really very VERY little risk of all our worst fear, losing her to this disease, yet I still found myself terrified.  New treatments were available that allowed her to experience very few side effects and to rest assured that her risk was pretty minimal. A time like that makes you grateful and also very aware of the many women who are not as fortunate in their diagnosis as my mom.  It makes me grateful for the many people who made donations so that the research could be done that led to the discoveries of the treatments that benefited my mom.

There's still such a long way to go and this month being Breast Cancer Awareness Month today we've got a guest post from Nanahood, to whom breast cancer awareness is particularly important.  See her regular posts at nanaood.com.


TELL SOMEONE YOU LOVE

Every where you go you see pink ribbons, reminding us to get a mammogram but I am not convinced that everyone who needs one-has had one.
A few weeks ago I spoke to a group of ladies at a church and I asked them how many of them had had a mammogram this year. Hands were raised. Then I asked how many should have had one this year but had not done so. They didn’t want to raise their hands, but some did. Later at lunch a lady explained to me why she hadn’t. She had an appointment then someone in her family had a crisis and she had to cancel it. So far she hadn’t found the time to reschedule.
That’s the way we are…
We take care of others and forget our own needs.
I asked the women there to please remind their friends, sisters, and moms to have a mammogram and they promised they would. Now I’m asking you? Have you had your mammogram? If you haven’t go make your appointment NOW!
Then call every important woman in your life and make sure they have had theirs. You never know. You might just save a life.
You have to click through these photos (I think). They don’t automatically change.
Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...